There are many ways to enforce child support | Green & Weinstein, PC
Green & Weinstein, PC
Call Or Email Us Today.

There are many ways to enforce child support

Has your former partner been ordered by the court to pay child support? If so, you hope that this never becomes a problem. You hope the person makes timely payments, month after month.

Unfortunately, there are times when this doesn't happen. Instead, for one reason or the next, the person feels that he or she can skip payments.

If you find yourself in this position in Maryland, you need to learn as much as possible about the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984. In short, this law is in place to help you collect child support that your former partner doesn't want to pay.

Some of the many ways to enforce a child support order include:

-- Garnishing wages.

-- Withholding tax refunds, thus using the funds to pay any back child support.

-- Seizing property.

-- Suspending the person's business or occupational license.

In the most serious of cases, the court can also impose a jail term on the person who fails to pay. This is not common, however, because the person will be unable to pay child support from jail.

Regardless of your situation, it's good to know that there are options if your former partner neglects to pay child support as ordered by the court.

If you run into any trouble with this, don't delay in seeking legal help and learning more about how the court system works. Once you know your rights, once you have an idea of what to do next, you can then move forward in the appropriate manner with the hope that you will begin to receive timely and full payments.

Source: FindLaw, "Enforcement of Child Support: FAQ's," accessed Sep. 14, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Guidance From Our Family Law Attorneys

For more information, please call 410-280-2696 or fill out the below form to send us a confidential email:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Green & Weinstein, PC Office Map

Green & Weinstein, PC
1 Park Place, Suite 500
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-280-2696
Fax: 410-280-6670
Map & Directions